Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Hat Is Better Than A TV


Below is from Voices and Visions at the Joyful Jewel Gallery in Pittsboro, NC. last Sunday. Unfortunately the pictures can't be bigger because they are low resolution.
Mariah Wheeler wrote the poem in response to a few of my hats.
Mariah Wheeler is wearing the hats while I read her words.

A Hat Is Better Than A TV
I am invited to Kazi Jane’s 2nd birthday party, and
imageI’m in the pink along with:
Cotton Candy Kisses
Giggles, Games, and Balloons
Glow Worm Tea Cakes                                     
A Grandmother’s Love



The military calls me, and
imageI’m at the ready:
The medals have already been earned and attached
I can divert attention at the last minute
(the enemy is dazzled & confused)
Hiding in trees or in a meadow is possible
I am just too cute to shoot


imageThe Queen is found to be an impostor, and
I visit Buckingham:
A Palace Guard (in a similar hat) recognizes me as Queen
A stately fascinator is ready for me to wear after my coronation,
and it has room for the crown jewels on the crown
I feel like Dudley Moore as Amadeus when riding in the parade

 
imageI decide to safari in Africa, and
my camouflage allows:
Closeness with elephants and giraffes
A gazelle’s invitation to dance
Frolicking in the dirt (which remains invisible on my head)
A bird to find a nesting site complete with fuzz for the nest

I’m in my own hat, and
standing out in the crowd, I:
Bring fun to strangers by eliciting their smiles
clip_image002[6]Know that blue matches my eyes and I feel pretty.
Am reminded of Christmas tinsel and break out in song
Have a bad hair day and still look good

I say “A Hat is Better Than a TV” because:
Imagination has a prop ready for action
It can go with me, in a useful way, when I’m outdoors
I can take it with me wherever I go
Because Dreams accumulate underneath a hat
and nothing happens underneath a TV

It was a fun day !!

No comments:

Post a Comment