Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I LOVE SARI RIBBON

                                          SARI RIBBON  -  YEA !!!!!!
I absolutely love sari ribbon. It is small strips of fabric from old saris that are randomly sewn together end to end. Some have metallic threads, some are kind of rough and some have an elegant feel. They come in solids and patterns and you can choose the general colors you want. Most of the colors are vivid. I get mine on Etsy but I'm sure there are other places to get it too. I find ironing it makes it a big difference in sewing with it. When I crochet with the ribbon I often don't bother to iron it out of laziness.
I sewed ironed ribbon around the edge of this upcycled beret.
upcycled beret with orange sari ribbon around the edge and lace dyed orangenecklace with sari ribbon, fabric, yarn and beadsRed, blue, maroon and black are sari ribbon that I've allowed to fray but have ironed before wrapping it onto necklace

green, red, purple and green are ironed sari ribbon necklace with sari ribbon and yarn and beads
upcycled vest with sari ribbon and other embellishments


The vest has sari ribbon sewn at the collar, shoulders and where pockets would be. Other embellishments have then been added to the ribbon. I think they work well together.
pin made of sari ribbonSmall pin made from sari                               ribbon  both ironed and frayed

necklace with sari ribbon, yarn, silk flowers.

close up of blue

sari ribbon
Piles of sari ribbon as it comes from India

sari ribbon
The possibilities with these ribbons are fabulous. I will put up some of the crocheted ribbon necklaces later. What are some of the things you do with sari ribbon ????

No comments:

Post a Comment